- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil; plus more for the pan
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 1/3 cup Almond Flour or fine-grind cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto, or other Lliqueur
- 1 tablespoon Finely grated Lemon Zest
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Sliced Peaches
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- A 9" diameter springform pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle bottom and sides of sponge pan with oil and use your fingers to coat. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper and smooth to eliminate air bubbles. Coat parchment with more oil.
- Generously sprinkle pan with sugar and tilt to coat in an even layer.
- Whisk cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to combine and eliminate any lumps.
- Stir together amaretto, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat eggs, lemon zest, and 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar in a large bowl until mixture is very light, thick, pale, and falls off the whisk or beaters, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer still on high speed, gradually stream in 1 1/4 cups oil and beat until incorporated and the mixture is even thicker.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with amaretto mixture in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold batter several times with a large rubber spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with more sugar.
- Place cake in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake until the top is golden brown, the center is firm to the touch, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean 40-50 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a toothpick or skewer and drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; let it absorb.
- Run a thin knife around edges of the cake and remove the ring from the pan. Slide cake onto rack and let cool completely. For the best flavor and texture, wrap cake in plastic and let sit at room temperature at least a day before serving.
- Optional: Add sliced peaches, or almonds, or both to top. Dust with powdered sugar.