I adore spinach and I always make room for it in my small vegetable garden. Not only is it tasty, but the thick green leaves are a nice contrast to the light colors and textures of some of my favorite fall leaf lettuces.
This recipe for sautéed spinach is a terrific way to prepare this cool season crop. It is fast, easy and great for you.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium sized cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds spinach
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- toasted pine nuts
- Wash spinach thoroughly and pat dry. Remove stems.
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet or toaster and set aside. Watch the pine nuts carefully while toasting. They go from perfect to burned very quickly.
- In a large skillet heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and then spinach.
- Sauté spinach until it is wilted but still bright green. This usually takes about 2 minutes. Turn with tongs to cook evenly.
- Remove from heat and top with lemon juice and pine nuts.