Let’s face it, most people would not consider a radish a very sexy vegetable, but I adore them. There is a surprising range of varieties, flavors and creative ways of using them – like this pasta dish.
- Category: Entree
- 25 radishes, with leaves
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, copped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Wash and dry the radishes and the green tops. Cut the leaves from the radishes and set them aside. Cut off the top and bottom of each radish, then slice them paper-thin. Next, chop the radish leaves
- Fill a large saucepan with salted water and bring it to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Set the nuts aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they become translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the sliced radishes and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add the garlic, toasted pine nuts, and radish leaves, and cook until the leaves wilt and soften. Remove the pan from the heat, season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and keep warm.
- Drain the pasta, leaving a couple of tablespoons of water in the pan. Add the radish mixture and the Parmesan, and mix. Serve topped with the chopped parsley.