I was introduced to this salad while on a trip to Columbus, Georgia. With all my lettuce coming on I decided to try it again and was reminded of how delicious it is. A young, garden fresh head of a bib type lettuce such as Buttercrunch is opened onto each plate topped with a luscious homemade mayo dressing and sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Category: Salad
- 2 whole eggs
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon (a little less) salt
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (Minute Maid frozen, thawed)
- 5 shakes of Tabasco sauce
- 32 ounces Canola oil
- Place egg yolks and whole eggs in deep bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale.
- Add salt and paprika until well blended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and Tabasco sauce and continue mixing.
- Slowly pour in oil a little at a time and keep beating.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as you mix until the dressing is firm and glossy.
- Add remainder of lemon juice. The lemon juice tends to separate the mixture, so don't panic if this happens. Simply continue beating and scraping the sides of the bowl until firm and glossy.
- Open a head of bib type lettuce onto a plate. Top with mayo and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.