My friend Capi Peck whipped up a batch of these chicken kebabs while we were taping at her restaurant Trio’s. I love the flavors of fresh mint and oregano for a summer evening meal.
To serve, crisscross two skewers on a small plate, and serve with 1 cup of the Greek Salad.
- Category: Entree
For the chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts and things, cut into 1-inch pieces
For the Kebabs
- 12 6-inch bamboo skewers
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Large fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic, mint, oregano, salt and pepper together.
- Then add the pieces of chicken, and stir to coat. Let the meat marinate 30 minutes or longer.
- While the chicken is marinating, soak the skewers in cold water.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or the broiler.
- To assemble the kebabs, alternate pieces of chicken with pieces of onion and mint leaves on each skewer.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl, and set it aside.
- Arrange the kebabs 3 inches from the heat, and grill, turning the skewers and basting them with the lemon-olive oil mixture several times, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes.