While in Oregon taping for my Garden to Table show Chef Carrie Wong whipped up this Blueberry Crostata.
- Category: Dessert
Cream cheese pastry crust
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 20 ounces all purpose flour, plus additional flour for rolling dough
Blueberry Filling Ingredients
- 2 pints fresh, rinsed blueberries
- 6 ounces water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- 1 lemon
- Begin by making the pastry. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the flour on your work surface. Cut butter into 1 inch cubes and toss with flour. Place the floured butter pieces back into the flour bowl, with any flour remaining on the work surface. Toss to coat butter.
- Place butter and flour into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer and mix on lowest speed for 1 minute. With the mixer running add the cream cheese in golf ball size pieces. Turn the mixer up one speed and mix for 30 seconds.
- Divide the dough into 3.25 ounce balls, cover and chill for 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling make the blueberry filling. Pour water into a sauce pan with the zest of 1 lemon and 1/3 of the berries. Bring to a simmer and puree with an immersion blender stick blender until smooth.
- Combine the cornstarch and sugar. Whisk into the blueberry puree. Stir until very thick and pour over remaining berries and stir to combine.
- Chill the filling until very cold.
- On a floured surface roll out chilled dough balls into 5 inch disks. Repeat until all the dough is ready.
- Chill disks for 1 hour.
- Place approx 1/3 cup of the filling in the center of each disk. Pull the far edge of the dough up towards you and fold slightly to your left, repeat the overlapping fold all the way around. Place the pastry in your hand. Gently press down with your other hand and turn counterclockwise to press the fold down. Place the pastry on a parchment lined baking pan and repeat. Freeze the finished Crostata for at least 4 hours prior to baking.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree F oven for 35 - 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.