I recently discovered a way to put Borax to good use – crystal pipe cleaner ornaments. These holiday decorations are a snap to make and will last quite a long time.
What You’ll Need:
- White Pipe Cleaners
- Borax (I used 20 Mule Team Laundry Booster. Do not use Boraxo Soap.)
- Blue Food Coloring (optional)
- Jars Large Enough to Submerge Ornament in Borax Solution
1. Fashion your ornaments out of white pipe cleaners or any other color of your choosing. I made spirals but you can make a wide range of shapes. Just use your imagination.
2. Tie one end of your string to the top of your ornament and the other end to your twig or pencil. Or, if your shape allows, bend the tip of the pipe cleaner over your twig to hold the ornament in place.
3. Mix together your crystal solution at a ratio of 3 tablespoons of Borax to one cup of boiling water. Stir until the Borax dissolves. Don’t expect all of the powder to dissolve, some may settle on the bottom. To give your crystal a slightly blue cast, add a drop or two of blue food coloring.
4. Pour the crystal solution into a wide mouth jar. You will need enough of this solution to submerge your pipe cleaner ornament. You can divide it among several jars if you want to make more than one ornament.
5. Submerge your ornament in the crystal solution with the twig resting on the lip of the jar so that the ornament hangs freely. You do not want the ornament to touch the bottom of the jar
6. Leave the ornament in place for overnight.
In the morning you should have a beautiful holiday ornament covered in crystals!
While Borax is an earth friendly cleaner, it is not edible. So keep your ornaments away from small children and pets.