This recipe is not made with the typical sponge cake, but pie crust like disks. I love the way the crisp, buttery disks soak up the sweet strawberry juice.
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Dessert
Ingredients for Shortcake
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 pounds very cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1/2 cup ice-cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Strawberries
- 3 (1 pint) baskets of strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar, to taste
Ingredients for Fresh Whipped Cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- To make the shortcake disks combine ingredients in a bowl with a pastry cutter until well blended. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide mixture into 24 balls and place on wax paper.
- Pat balls into disks by hand. Do not roll with a rolling pin because the mixture is too fragile.
- Spray the baking sheet with a little bit of food release and bake it in a low oven, about 300 degrees for 20 minutes until it's nice and golden brown. Makes 24 disks.
- Wash the strawberries, removing the green stem top if necessary. Chop strawberries and add sugar.
- Allow the mixture to sit unrefrigerated for about 1 hour or until strawberries become juicy.
- While the strawberries are sitting prepare the whipped cream.
- Combine 1 pint cold whipping cream, sugar up to 1 tablespoon or to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Serve strawberries over shortcake with a dollop of whipped cream.