My grandmother taught me how to steam English peas wrapped in lettuce with a little milk and butter. It is super simple and oh so delicious. If you can find the younger, smaller fresh peas it is even better!
- Category: Side Dishes
- cup Fresh English peas (Frozen will work, too. Just be sure to thaw first. Look for 'petite' peas at the store.)Look for 'petite' peas at the store.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- green leaf lettuce, not Iceberg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan add enough milk to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/4 inch deep. Water can be used in place of the milk.
- Line the bottom of the pan with a single layer of lettuce leaves. It is okay if the leaves overlap.
- Add peas and butter.
- Cover peas and butter with a second layer of lettuce leaves.
- Cook over low heat until liquid begins to bubble. Continue cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes until peas are crisp and tender.
- Drain liquid and discard lettuce. Season with salt and pepper and serve.