Dine on a healthy dose of beta-carotene with this tasty recipe using one of winter’s best vegetables, carrots.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1 pound (about 8 medium) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Begin by parboiling the carrots. To do this, add the carrots to boiling water in a medium saucepan and cover. Allow carrots to boil for about 5 to 6 minutes. Parboiling is a time saving step that partially cooks dense vegetables like carrots so that they can be easily added to other ingredients that don't require much cooking time.
- After the carrots are sufficiently parboiled, remove them from heat and drain them. You may also want to rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Combine the scallions, olive oil, garlic, lemon and salt in a saute pan. Cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the parboiled carrots and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with scallion slivers.