If you ever visit Jasper, Arkansas be sure to stop in at the Arkansas House and have a slice of Janet Morgan’s famous Black Walnut Pie. Made with black walnuts and sorghum, it’s definitely something you’ll find yourself craving long after you’ve returned home. Here’s the recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 unbaked 8-inch pie shell
- 1 cup black walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup sorghum molasses
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Spread the chopped walnuts over the bottom of the pie shell and set aside.
- Blend the butter and syrups with the eggs and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the nuts in the pie shell.
- Place the pie in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 25 minutes or until top cracks slightly.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting.