Summer is sometimes the forgotten season in the garden. All of the beautiful spring blooms usually get all of the attention and when summer rolls around, we realize we didn’t plan for color to carry us through until fall. I have you covered with these summer-blooming shrubs.
What’s great about these is that they’re low-maintenance. Who wants to work in the garden during those dog days of summer? You can sit back and enjoy the season while these hardworking shrubs color your outdoor spaces.
- The Beyond Midnight® Bluebeard Shrub – I love finding ways to add more blue to the garden. It’s such a captivating color. The Beyond Midnight® Bluebeard adds deep blue color to your late summer landscape. It’s also a low-maintenance shrub that can take the heat and attracts pollinators to the garden!
- Pinky Winky® Panicle Hydrangea – I love that this hydrangea help make the transition from summer to fall a little more colorful. The base of the large white blooms begin to turn pink as autumn nears, leaving you with giant two-toned flower panicles. This shrub can take sun or part shade and grows well in a container or in the garden.
3. Happy Face Yellow® Potentilla – Native to North America, the Potentilla booms non-stop from spring to frost. I love the cheerful yellow flowers and the plant’s durability. Potentilla is deer-resistant to boot!
4. All That Glows® Viburnum – Another deer-resistant favorite! All That Glows® viburnum is loaded with clusters of white flowers in early summer. Plant an All That Glitters® viburnum nearby to pollinate All That Glows®, and you’ll have shiny blue fruit after the white blooms fade.
5. Vanilla Spice® Summersweet – This is a great native plant with gorgeous fragrant flowers that bloom in the summer. Summersweet attracts butterflies and hummingbirds and helps keep deer away.