Chef Matt Bessler with Schlafly Bottleworks in St. Louis, Missouri gave me this recipe that combines the salty flavor of bacon with sweet chard and golden raisins. Add a bit of crunchy toasted pecans and you’ve got a fabulous side dish.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh chard, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- pinch cayenne pepper
- dash nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Sauté pan. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Add onion and Sauté until translucent. Add garlic, cook until fragrant. About 5 minutes
- Add chard and cook until wilted.
- Pour in vegetable broth.
- Stir in 1 cup golden raisins. They'll soak up the flavors as the chard continues to cook.
- Season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes then mix in 1 cup chopped, toasted pecans.