This is a terrific way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey. The basic idea is to simmer the turkey carcass with some veggies to create a broth. Remove the turkey, add rice and some herbs and you’ve got homemade soup. If you are tired of turkey, freeze the soup for later.
- Category: Soup
- 1 turkey carcass
- 8 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 cup rice
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot combine turkey, water, bouillon cubes, celery, carrots, onion and bay leaf.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat for 2 hours. Remove the turkey and set aside to cool.
- Add the rice and cook until tender.
- Once the turkey is cool enough to work with, pull off any remaining meat. Add to the soup along with the parsley and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.