Turkey taco lettuce wraps are my go-to recipe when I want to eat something easy, delicious, and light. I forgo the taco shells and use lettuce leaves instead.
Look for lettuce leaves that are large and sturdy. I like to double up on the leaves. You can use iceberg, baby romaine, or butter.
Add your favorite taco fixings such as shredded cheddar, sour cream, black olives, jalapenos, or tomatoes.
Making your own taco seasoning is a healthier alternative to buying packaged taco seasoning. It also can save you money.
- Serves: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Divide the meat equally between the 8 leaves and place in the center of each leaf and top with your favorite taco toppings.