From July to September tomatoes are a star ingredient in my dishes and this simple salad is one my all-time favorites to prepare. I love the combination of vine ripened tomatoes, fresh basil and crunchy sourdough croutons.
- Category: Salad
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 pound crusty sourdough bread
- 3 pounds tomatoes, ripe, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 basil leaves, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour red wine vinegar over the chopped onions and set aside for 15 minutes to macerate.
- Remove the crust from the bread and discard. Tear the inside portion of the bread into bite size pieces, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and toast until golden brown in the pre-heated oven. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the dressing combine the onion and red wine vinegar with the Balsamic vinegar. Whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Toss the tomatoes, toasted bread, dressing and basil together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.