An overheard conversation between two women about picking strawberries as children reminded me of this recipe for strawberry preserves. All you need are strawberries and sugar, a little lemon juice and an hour of your time.
Because there isn’t any pectin the preserves aren’t as stiff as jam; expect them to be more honey-like in consistency.
- Yield: 5 - 6 pints
- Category: Sauces Jams And Preserves
- 8 cups strawberries, hulled
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a deep, heavy bottomed saucepan. You want to use a deep pan so the berries won't boil over.
- Boil the berry mixture for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the preserves to a flat pan and stir to evenly distribute the berries.
- Pour the preserves in hot, sterile jars and store in the refrigerator. You can also process the jars in a hot water bath for keeping in the cupboard.