I like recipes that are simple and don’t require a lot of time in the kitchen. This Shaker lemon pie is one of those great old-fashioned desserts. I especially like its tangy fresh flavor that comes from using five lemons.
Now for this pie, you will need a double piecrust, one for both the top and the bottom. I make it easy on myself by using one of those pre-made piecrusts. You can pick them up in the dairy section of the grocery store.
This lemon pie is excellent served with fresh whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and a sprig of mint for a beautiful presentation.
- Category: Dessert
- 5 medium lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- double piecrust
- 9 inch pie pan
- Start with 5 medium-sized lemons and remove all of the zest.
- Separate 1 egg. Set aside the white for the piecrust.
- Combine lemon zest, 2 1/4 cups of sugar, 5 large eggs and yolk from the egg you separated. Whip all these ingredients together.
- Slice the lemons as thin as possible and remove the seeds. Add the lemon slices to the mixture.
- Place 1 piecrust in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the pan on top of the piecrust and cover with the remaining crust. Pinch the piecrust edges together and cut a few slits in the top. Brush with the egg white.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for about 1 hour.