My friend Regina Charboneau at Twin Oaks in Natchez gave me this recipe for a savory rice pudding is a different twist on rice as a side dish. You can use white or brown rice and a variety of mushrooms. Regina recommends using a mix of 1 cup of white or brown rice for a creamier rice pudding. It’s a great side dish for meat or fish.
You can learn more about cooking with mushrooms by watching the video below!
- Category: Side Dishes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 green onion
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix the eggs and cream in bowl with wire whisk.
- Sauté the white onions until translucent, add green onions, mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, sage, garlic and black pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the rice to sautéed mushroom mixture - let cool for ten minutes.
- Add cream mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Pour into oiled custard cups.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 50-60 minutes – until firm in the center.