If you haven’t been eating many sweet potatoes, this salad is a good reason to start. The creation of my dear friend Regina Charboneau it is rich in flavor. The sweet potatoes and spinach make it nutritious too.
- Category: Salad
Creole Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot
- 3 rounded tablespoons creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound pecan halves
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Start by making the peppered pecans. Spray a large heavy roasting pan with cooking spray and set aside. Mix together black pepper, sugar & salt. In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until foamy, then add the Worcestershire Sauce. Drop in the pecans and stir to coat well. Pour coated pecans into a colander to drain off extra egg white mixture; return to the bowl and add the pepper mixture. Stir well to coat each pecan.
- Spread pecans onto the prepared sheet pan. Roast in pre-heated 375 degree F oven for 5 minutes and stir pecans; roast an additional 5 minutes and stir again. Turn off heat and roast pecans an additional 5 to 10 minutes until pecans are lightly browned.
- Remove the pecans from the oven and turn the heat up to 425 degrees F to get it ready for the sweet potatoes.
- Toss the cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and spread over a large baking sheet. Roast 25 minutes until tender and a little caramelized.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting make the salad dressing. In a blender, add peeled shallots, pulse to chop. Add mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and sugar. With blender on medium speed, slowly add oil to emulsify.
- Combine the spinach, sweet potatoes, 1 cup pecans and cranberries. Toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette and serve.