Regina Charboneau, chef at Monmouth Plantation in Natchez was kind enough to share some of her favorite recipes that they serve guests during the holidays. One of the recipes was for this tasty roasted turkey with anchovies and spices.
- Category: Entree
- 16 to 18 lb turkey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced sage
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 ounces anchovy filets
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
For turkey cavity
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium peeled onions
- 4 ribs celery
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Place turkey in deep roasting pan. Place giblets around it as they will enhance the gravy flavor. Stuff the cavity with the garlic cloves, quartered onion and celery slices. Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of red wine in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Mix together the butter, minced garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce. Rub turkey well with this mixture. Take the anchovy filets and place on top of the turkey. The anchovies make this turkey taste wonderful and only a trace of anchovies is left behind when the turkey is completed.
- Put aluminum foil on both sides of the roaster, making a loose tent over the turkey, leave 1/4 inch opening down the center.
- Place turkey in preheated oven for roasting.
- 225 degrees- 7 hours no need to baste 350 degrees- 3 to 3 1/2 hours for every 15 pounds and add 11 minutes per pound after that, baste hourly.
- The best test for doneness is the temperature of the meat, not the color of the skin. The turkey is done when the thigh meat reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees F, and when the breast meat reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees F. If your turkey has been stuffed, it is important to check the temperature of the dressing. The stuffing should be 165 degrees F. It is important when measuring the temperature of your turkey to not let the thermometer touch the bone because this will produce a false reading.
- When the turkey is done, remove from the oven and allow to stand for 30 minutes.