Halloween at my house goes hand in hand with one of my favorite seasonal treats, roasted pumpkin seeds. These make a healthy and delicious snack and preparing them can be a lot of fun for children. This is a simple method for roasting pumpkin seeds that I hope will become a Halloween tradition in your home.
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil for every 1 1/2 cups of seeds
- Clean the pumpkin seeds by placing them in a colander under running water. The water should be lukewarm, not hot. To enhance the flavor allow some of the pulp to remain.
- Dissolve salt in warm water at a ratio of 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt per cup of water. You will need enough of the salt water to cover the pumpkin seeds.
- Soak the seeds in salty water for about 8 hours and then drain them in a paper towel.Soaking the seeds in salt water is optional. If you are sensitive to salt skip this step or reduce the amount of salt used.
- Place seeds in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss until seeds are lightly coated.Spread the seeds evenly on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 300-degree oven.
- Roast the seeds for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden brown.