Early this spring I sowed seeds for several types of peas and now they are ready for harvest. I find them to be sweet enough to eat right off the vine, but I try to save some for one of my favorite comfort foods, peas and potatoes in cream sauce.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 12 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh, shelled peas
White Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan.
- Add cold water to cover potatoes; add one tsp. salt.
- Bring water and potatoes to boil over moderate heat and cook the potatoes ten to fifteen minutes or until tender.
- Add peas during last 2 to 4 minutes of cooking time. Remove from heat and drain.
- While the potatoes and peas are cooking, make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Then add the flour along with the salt and pepper. Continue to cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk all at once. Cook the sauce, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Remove the sauce from heat when it bubbles. Add a dash of nutmeg.
- Pour the sauce over potatoes and peas. Serve hot.