This recipe is provide courtesy of Debra Ponzek and Geralyn Delany Graham. It is from their cookbook The Summer House Cookbook, published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers. For more information visit www.clarksonpotter.com.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter with the sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until well incorporated. Stir in the sour cream and blend well.
- Grease a round 9-inch baking pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Spoon the batter into the pan and place it on a rack in the middle of the oven. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- When I tried this cake at home, I served it topped with fresh peaches. To prepare the peaches simply mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with about 6 peeled and sliced peaches. Set aside unrefrigerated for thirty minutes to an hour to allow the fruit to become juicy.