This recipe combines two classic summer flavors, tomatoes and basil. It is ideal for toasted rounds of French bread or even as a topping for grilled chicken.
Cooking with fresh, in season ingredients is one way to ensure the best flavor. Tomatoes and basil are plentiful in summer and this recipe for roasted relish combines the two in a delicious and easy way.
This recipe is delicious served on toasted sourdough rounds. and to enhance the flavor, serve it with a little feta cheese and salt and pepper to taste. It’s also a great relish to serve on the top of grilled chicken.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 8 - 9 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 olive oil
- Begin with 8 to 9 meaty tomatoes. Romas are nice, but any of the plum varieties will work. The idea is to have more meat than juice.
- After cutting the tomatoes in half, remove the seeds, and then coarsely chop them and place them in a medium sized bowl.
- Next chop the red pepper and combine it with the tomatoes in the bowl. You can roast the pepper in your oven or you can put it on the grill to bring in that charcoal flavor.
- To this, add the fresh chopped basil, grated Parmesan cheese, crushed garlic and olive oil.
- Now blend all the ingredients together and transfer the mixture to a small baking dish. Place the dish in a preheated 350 degree F oven and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.