I recently rediscovered one of my favorite biscuit recipes. On a cold morning there is nothing like a kitchen warmed by a stove filled with hot baked biscuits.
Friends from Natchez shared this family recipe with me. What makes it unique is that it has been modified to suit restricted diets by eliminating salt and sugar.
I hope you’ll try this recipe and share it with others, especially those who are unable to eat salts and sugars. I think you’ll agree that these biscuits are especially good.
- Category: Bread
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- 1 cup skim milk
- Cut the Crisco into the dry ingredients until mealy.
- Next add the milk and knead together.
- Roll the dough out on a floured board until it is about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough with a biscuit cutter and place the biscuits on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.