There’s just something about having a Cajun fritter in one hand and rum punch in the other that can erase any trace of the blues.
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dishes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups raw, peeled, de-veined shrimp
- 2 cups yellow corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 eggs, separated
- Preheat fryer to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, and blend using a fork or whisk.
- Place egg whites in mixing bowl and whip to soft peaks, set aside.
- In separate bowl add shrimp, corn, garlic, basil and egg yolk, toss until blended.
- First, add shrimp mixture to flour mixture stirring lightly to incorporate, and then slowly add egg whites with a spatula using a turning motion. The mixture may seem a little dry, but the liquid from the corn and shrimp moistens the mixture even more after a few minutes.
- Take 2 tablespoons of fritter batter and gently lower into oil, fry for about 3 minutes. You can test with a wooden skewer, if batter is on skewer, cook for a minute more.