This is a very rich, chocolate dessert that will satisfy the cravings of even the most passionate chocoholic. It’s a dense cake best served the day after baking when the chocolate has had a chance to mellow.
A ganache is a thin chocolate icing that is drizzled over the cake. It’s optional, but I recommend trying it because this dessert is all about chocolate overload.
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
Chocolate Orange Ganache (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 10 -inch spring form pan A 9-inch pan will work too, but you may need to bake the torte a little longer.
- Food processor
- Place the walnuts and 1/3 cup of sugar in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
- Set aside to cool.
- Butter a 10-inch spring form pan and lightly dust with flour or cocoa powder.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Beat the yolks and remaining 2/3 cup sugar.
- Add the vanilla and fold the melted chocolate, ground walnuts and orange zest into the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate walnut batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared spring form pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before taking out the cake out of the pan.
- Before unlatching the spring form, run a knife blade between the edge of the torte and the form so that the torte doesn't stick.
- This can be served with a dusting of powdered sugar or, if you want even more chocolate top with ganache.
- To make the ganache heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a small saucepan.
- Just as the cream begins to bubble add the chocolate and orange zest.
- Lower the heat and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add more cream, one tablespoon at a time if the chocolate becomes too thick.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled torte.