Skip to content
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- Heat the butter in a large skillet and brown the onions, stirring constantly.
- Add the butternut squash; season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Stir everything for 4 to 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you prefer), and cook it down for 2 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a 9x13-inch casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and place in a 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make the topping, combine the bread crumbs, white cheddar cheese, rosemary, and thyme in a large bowl.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400F, sprinkle the topping over the squash, and bake an additional 15 minutes.