Blueberry muffins are a classic. While it may be tempting to whip up a batch from a boxed kit, try this recipe for blueberry muffins from scratch that is almost as easy and certainly better tasting!
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Makes about 12 medium sized muffins.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and ¾ cup sugar with an electric beater.
- Now add the egg to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until well incorporated and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder.
- Fold half the dry ingredients into the egg, butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in half the milk and then repeat the process with the remaining dry ingredients and milk.
- Add the vanilla and give the batter a good stir.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon the batter in to greased muffin tins. Fill the tins almost level to the top.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- If you can stand to wait, allow the muffins to cool after baking for 20 to 30 minutes, otherwise get 'em while they're hot!