Chef John Mooney of Bell Book and Candle in Manhattan grows his ingredients in a rooftop hydroponic garden. On a trip to New York I taped with John for my show and he shared this pureed soup. As John says good asparagus soup comes from good asparagus so use fresh, tender spears when you prepare this.
- Category: Soup
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 fluid ounce pistachio oil plus a few drops for garnish
- 2 cups pistachios
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped, reserve a few pieces for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Gently heat the shallots and pistachios in the pistachio oil until the shallots are wilted.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the asparagus, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Serve with a few extra drops of pistachio oil and some chopped asparagus.