If you’re raising chickens or think you might add birds to your backyard in the near future, Chicken Chat at Moss Mountain Farm is for you.
It’s ideal for everyone from small-scale chicken farmers to novices wanting a pet bird.
Event attendees will learn from P. Allen Smith about his heritage breed poultry and the importance of preserving these rare breeds. He’ll be on-site answering all of your poultry questions and sharing his long-standing love for chickens.
Lunch will be provided.
You can even purchase chickens to take home and add to your flock!
Poultry will be available for purchase the day of on a first come first serve basis. Please bring your own crate to transport your poultry on the day of the event.
4-H’ERS RECEIVE FREE ADMISSION TO CHICKEN CHAT* (*Must be accompanied by a paying adult)
- GATES OPEN & CHECK-IN
- You will not receive a digital or printed ticket as they are not needed for entry. Your name will be on a list at the registration area located near the restrooms and gift shop adjacent to the parking area. Enjoy refreshments under the tent until tour begins. Poultry will be available to purchase throughout the day.
- 10:00 - 10:30
- Opening with Allen
- Event attendees will learn from P. Allen Smith about his heritage breed poultry and the importance of preserving these rare breeds. He’ll be on-site answering all of your poultry questions and sharing his long-standing love for chickens.
- 10:30 - 12:00
- GUIDED TOUR OF HOME & GARDENS
- A guided tour through P. Allen Smith’s three-story Greek Revival-style home. Guests will learn about P. Allen Smith’s authentic design approach that pays homage to the history of the farm. Explore Arkansas’ beautiful countryside overlooking the Arkansas River while touring Allen’s Terrace Garden, the Hidden Rose Garden, Hydrangea Allée, and his one-acre Vegetable Garden.
- 12:00 - 1:00
- LUNCH IN GRANGE HALL
- Connect to the land as you sit down to a farm-to-table lunch featuring a Seasonal recipe from P. Allen Smith’s book, Seasonal Recipes from the Garden. For dessert, enjoy a slice of Allen’s famous buttermilk pecan pie with homemade whipped cream.
- 12:30 - 1:00
- Chicken Chat
- Q&A with P. Allen Smith & Jerry DeSmit
- 1:30 - 2:00
- Visit to Poultryville
- Last but certainly not least, a visit to Poultryville to meet the chickens and other animals. Learn about Allen’s effort to conserve America’s early poultry breeds and why he started the Heritage Poultry Conservancy. While you are there, say hi to your favorite farm animals from Allen’s television show—Trudy, Moose, Smudge & Squeak, just to name a few.
Poultry for sale
Please bring your own crate to transport your poultry on the day of the event.
White Bearded Silkies Pair$90.00
Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens Pair$120.00
Slate Red Dorking Pair$120.00
Pyncheon Bantam Pair$90.00
White Faced Black Spanish Bantam Pair$90.00
Light Sussex Pair$120.00
White Sultan Pair$120.00
Silver Laced Wyandotte Pair$120.00
Buff Orpington Pair$120.00
Cuckoo Dorking Pair$120.00
Red Dorking Pair$120.00
Silver Grey Dorking Pair$120.00
frequently asked questions
Gates will open 30 minutes prior to the tour. Tours start promptly at 10:00 a.m. You will not receive a digital or printed ticket as they are not needed for entry. Your name will be on a list at the registration area located near the restrooms and gift shop adjacent to the parking area.
Touring the grounds will be comprised of up to 2 miles of walking. Wear comfortable walking shoes. There is a lot of walking, but you can do as much or as little as you want. Also, wearing a hat and even sunscreen is suggested.
Yes, the Moss Mountain Farm Gift Shop is opened for our tour guests to shop unique selection of products curated by P. Allen Smith that includes books, giclées, seasonally-inspired gifts, soaps and lotions, honey and jams, and more!
Moss Mountain Farm is a working farm and is not pet-friendly. Please make appropriate arrangements for your companion animals.
We do not cancel for rain. Bring your umbrella and rubber boots!
Lunch is typically served around noon. If you have any food allergies, please let us know at the time of confirming your reservations and we will try to accommodate you.
Please note our lunch & tours are typically not kid-friendly unless clearly noted due to the subject of the event. All guests, regardless of age, must purchase a ticket.
Yes. The Cottage at Moss Mountain Farm is available for rentals. Click here to learn more about it and to check the availability.
In spring of 2023 we plan to have the Twin Gatehouse Cottages also available for rentals.
From local antique shops to artisan-inspired keepsakes, there’s a Little Rock shopping experience for everyone.