Everyone loves cauliflower right now! It’s increasingly popular as a “swap” for starches in popular comfort foods like alfredo sauce, mac ‘n’ cheese, and pizza crust. Not only does cauliflower satisfy those craving a low-carb option, but it also is packed with plenty of nutrients.
5 Health Benefits of Cauliflower
1. It keeps your bones healthy. Cauliflower contains vitamin C, which helps with collagen production, and vitamin K, which may help prevent bone loss.
2. It helps with detox. Cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables contain Indole-3-carbinol, a phytonutrient that has been shown to aid the liver in its detox functions.
3. It aids in reducing high blood pressure. Eating cauliflower can help boost HDL cholesterol (the good kind) levels and lower blood pressure.
4. It strengthens your immune system. Choline, a nutrient found in cauliflower and other vegetables, helps with gastrointestinal health. Also, glutathione is an antioxidant that helps fight off infection.
5. It helps reduce the risk of cancer. Some studies have shown that Indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables have anti-inflammatory properties, help protect cells from DNA damage and may also help inactivate carcinogens.