Everyone loves cauliflower right now! It’s increasingly popular as a “swap” for starches in popular comfort foods like alfredo sauce, mac ‘n’ cheese, and pizza crust. Not only does cauliflower satisfy those craving a low-carb option, but it also is packed with plenty of nutrients.
5 Health Benefits of Cauliflower
- It keeps your bones healthy. Cauliflower contains vitamin C, which helps with collagen production, and vitamin K, which may help prevent bone loss.
- It helps with detox. Cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables contain Indole-3-carbinol, a phytonutrient that has been shown to aid the liver in its detox functions.
- It aids in reducing high blood pressure. Eating cauliflower can help boost HDL cholesterol (the good kind) levels and lower blood pressure.
- It strengthens your immune system. Choline, a nutrient found in cauliflower and other vegetables, helps with gastrointestinal health. Also, glutathione is an antioxidant that helps fight off infection.
- It helps reduce the risk of cancer. Some studies have shown that Indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables have anti-inflammatory properties, help protect cells from DNA damage and may also help inactivate carcinogens.