Spiced lemons are traditionally used for Moroccan dishes, but they are also tasty with other foods that benefit from a burst of lemon flavor like fish or poultry. It’s also a great gift for your favorite cook.
- Yield: 1 quart or 3 cups
- Category: Sauces Jams And Preserves
- 5 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup salt
- Sterile, 1 quart, wide mouth jar with lid
- Place a lemon slice on top of the salt. Sprinkle the lemon slice with a little more salt. Repeat the process until all the slices and salt are in the jar. Press down on the lemon slices as you go to release some of the juice.
- Add the spices and lemon juice. The lemons need to be completely covered with juice. Add more juice, if necessary.
- Cover the jar tightly with the lid and refrigerate for 5 to 7 days. Give the jar a good shake every now and again.
- After about a week the lemons are ready to use, but they will continue to get better over time. They will keep in the refrigerator for about 6 months.