To many gardeners spring doesn’t really start until the first crop of lettuce is in the ground. When you are ready to make your first salad with your homegrown lettuce you will need a great tasting dressing. Here is a recipe that a local chef shared with me that includes fresh basil. It is a delicious complement to any salad.
- Category: Salad
- 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
- seasoned salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Start out with a little bit of smooth, Dijon style mustard. Put about 1 tablespoon in a medium sized bowl.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of garlic and 1/3 cup of Balsamic vinegar. Whisk this all together.
- Next add a little bit of a seasoned salt to suit your tastes. Now add the 1/3 cup of olive oil. What I like about Balsamic vinegar is that you can use equal parts vinegar and olive oil rather than the traditional ratio of 1 to 2. It makes for a much lighter vinaigrette.
- As a final step add the chopped basil and it's ready to go.