This dressing recipe from my cookbook Seasonal Recipes from the Garden is a good one to pair fresh spring lettuce, especially the Bibb types like Buttercrunch. There is just enough bite to complement the mild flavor of the lettuce without overpowering it.
- Category: Salad
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- Start by bringing a small pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and cook for one minute. Then, drain them immediately and crack the eggs into a food processor or blender.
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing to the food processor or blender, except the oils, and process until smooth.
- With the motor still running, add both oils to the mixture in a slow steady stream, processing until all of the oil is emulsified and the consistency is similar to mayonnaise. Give it a little taste to see if you need to add anymore salt or pepper.
- Now just drizzle about 1/4 to a 1/2 a cup of dressing over your prepared lettuce, garnish with chive blossoms and serve immediately.