This baked onion dip is a great tasting appetizer that will vanish quickly. Apples are a natural way to eliminate onion breath, so accompany this dip with a tray of fresh sliced apples and your guests will thank you for it.
- Category: Appetizer
- 2 1/2 cups fresh, chopped onion or (12 oz bag of frozen)
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Before you start, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator and allow it to warm up to room temperature. You will happy that you did when it comes time to mix it in with the rest of the ingredients
- To begin heat oil and butter in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add onions, salt and pepper. Saute the onions for about 10 to 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Set the onions aside and allow to cool.
- While the onions are cooling, take a large bowl and combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan and hot sauce. I found the easiest way to do this is with an electric mixer. If you have paddle attachments they work best, but regular beaters will do. Beat on a low speed until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Now add the onions and mix well.
- Spread the onion cheese mixture into a 2 quart shallow dish and bake in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the onion dip to cool a bit before serving. This snack is delicious with crisp crackers or a slice of French bread.