Angela Sanders Looney and her mother Darin Sanders make a mean Thai Chicken Coconut Curry. It’s a dish that Angela remembers her mother preparing regularly.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Serves: 8
- Category: Entree
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- red curry paste, to taste
- 1 4-ounce can Thai coconut milk
- 2 20-ounce cans bamboo shoot strips, rinsed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 ounce Thai fish sauce, or to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- Kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- fresh basil leaves, optional for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in 5 quart stockpot over medium high heat until melted. Add desired amount of curry paste to the pot and heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Add about half of a can of coconut milk to the curry paste to form a roux. After 2 to 3 minutes, slowly add the sliced chicken to the curry mixture, stirring until the chicken is cooked through. Add the fish sauce, remaining coconut milk, bamboo, and Kaffir lime leaves, if using. Simmer approximately 15 minutes, then, with a minute or two remaining in simmer time, add the julienned red bell pepper, stirring to incorporate. Serve over cooked rice and garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.