Whether you say potato or “po-taut-to”, if you are talking about sweet potatoes it all sounds delicious to me!
Now there is a little confusion about what constitutes a sweet potato. This is because there are creamy, deep colored sweet potatoes common in the South and drier fleshed, lighter colored varieties grown in California and in the North. To confuse the issue even more, the Southern sweet potato is also called a “yam,” which is a whole other “potato” all together. Real yams are a large, scaly root vegetable grown in Africa and Asia and not used much in American kitchens.
This recipe for sweet potato pie is made with Southern sweet potatoes because of their smooth texture and sugary flavor. It is a delicious way to get all the nutrients sweet potatoes have to offer such as Vitamin C, beta-carotene and fiber.
- Category: Dessert
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 cup puree)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pie pastry large enough to fit a 9" pie pan
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup about 4 ounces pecan halves
- Roast potatoes in a preheated 400 degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until soft. You can also bake them in the microwave. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes to cook 2 large potatoes in the microwave. Turn them over after 4 minutes and let them sit for another 5 minutes before you cut into them.
- Split the potatoes in half and allow to cool. Once the potatoes have cooled scoop out the flesh and mash with a potato masher or puree in a food processor. You will need 1 1/2 cups of puree.
- Place puree in large bowl. Stir in eggs, brown sugar, whipping cream, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Beat these ingredients with an electric mixture until smooth. The filling will be thin and liquidy.
- Pour the filling into a 9" pie pan lined with a pie crust.
- Now make the pecan topping. Place the corn syrup and eggs in a bowl. Whisk until well blended and then add pecans. Pour the pecan topping over the sweet potato filling.
- Place the pie in a pre-heated 400 degree F oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until filling puffs. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing so that the filling can set.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream.