Sweet potato casserole is a sweet and hearty dish for a family gathering or potluck during the holiday season.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 3 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes.
- Boil them in water until they are tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- Drain and mash.
- In a large bowl mix the sweet potatoes, 1 cup brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices, milk and melted butter.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
- The center will be almost set when done.
- It will continue to set as it cools.
- Serves 6 to 8.