Gelato is a frozen dessert that is as good today as it was when people were eating it thousands of years ago in Asia, Egypt and Rome. There are two types of gelato. One, also known as sorbetto, uses water as the base and the other uses milk or cream. This is a recipe that I received from local chef Scott McGehee. He runs a pizza shop in town that serves gelato too. Homegrown strawberries make this dessert a special treat that’s only available when the fruits are in season.
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 4 cups milk
- Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor and set aside.
- Add sugar to the top pan of a heated double boiler or water bath.
- Slowly whisk the egg yolks into the sugar for about one minute to coddle the eggs. Heat to melt the sugar. You may need to scrape the sides of the bowl to prevent the eggs from cooking. It will be warm to the touch when done and a pale yellow color.
- Slowly add the cream and then the milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the strawberry puree.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions.