Skip to content
- 6 cups brown rice
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces cans apricot halves in light syrup or juice, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets (fresh or frozen will work)
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the rice according to the directions, but substitute chicken stock for water.
- Steam the broccoli for about 5 minutes. Add peas during the last minute or two.
- Set aside rice, broccoli and peas to cool.
- Drain and thinly slice the apricots. Set aside.
- Toast the almonds with 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat, stirring regularly. This doesn't take long, so watch the almonds carefully.
- Combine all ingredients except the almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, mix well.
- To keep the crunch in the almonds wait until just before serving the salad to add them.
- Refrigerate and serve cool. Serves 10 to 12.