- Category: Salad
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 balsamic vinegar
- 2 whole-grain mustard
- 1 sugar
- 1 sea salt
- black pepper, ground
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cranberries, sweetened, dried
- 8 cups spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 2 pears, cored, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup almonds, sliced
- Place the sliced onions in a bowl of cold water. This will make them crisp and less raw onion tasting. Leave them in the water for about 30 minutes
- Next make the dressing. You'll need a jar with a tight fitting lid to mix it.
- Combine 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons of Balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons of whole-grain mustard, and 1 teaspoon each of sugar and sea salt. Add a little freshly ground pepper, secure the lid on the jar and shake the dressing vigorously until it's blended. Remove 2 tablespoons of the dressing and place in a bowl. Set the rest aside.
- Add 1/3 cup of dried cranberries to the 2 tablespoons of dressing and set aside. This will soften the dried cranberries and make them easier to chew.
- Wash the spinach and pat dry. Remove stems as needed.
- When you're ready to serve the salad grab a large bowl, add 8 cups of fresh spinach, sliced onions, and pears. Give dressing in the jar a good shake and pour it over the salad. Scatter in the cranberries on top and toss everything well to coat with dressing.