As a Southern boy, there are certain things that my garden would feel incomplete without. Tomatoes, peppers, snap peas, and of course, collard greens. One of my favorite ways to prepare collards is smothered in bacon and onions. Try pairing the greens with a head of cabbage for a milder flavor.
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 5 leaves of collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon greens seasoning, divided
- Fry the bacon with the onion in a large skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped collard greens, sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the greens seasoning; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add in the darker chopped cabbage leaves, and cook and stir until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining cabbage; season with salt, black pepper, sugar, and the remaining greens seasoning. Stir well; cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally so that the greens do not scorch, about 10 minutes.