If you are feeling the pinch of our current economy, making the most of leftovers is a good way to stretch a dollar.
This dish is great for preparing extra rice, pasta or potatoes. and it’s tasty, too!
- Category: Entree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half, or cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup cheese of choice, such as Swiss, shredded cheddar blends or even cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked leftover vegetables such as tomato, onion, broccoli, asparagus, roasted peppers and mushrooms or 1/2
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooked pasta or cooked sliced potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs of choice or 2 tbs. fresh
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup diced meat of choice, such as ham, sausage, prosciutto or bacon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the broiler to high heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Add the herbs, caynenne, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Whisk to combine.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add the oil.
- Whisk the rice/pasta/potatoes, meat and vegetables into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the hot oil and cook, moving the eggs from the outside into the center of the pan as they cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the mixture is mostly set.
- Place under the broiler and cook until puffed and golden brown.
- Slide from the pan onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve with a salad or fruit.