Poaching eggs can seem overwhelming, but if you follow a few simple steps, they’ll turn out perfectly! Place them on top of a bed of spinach with a light shallot dressing, and you have a beautiful, healthy meal for you and your guests.
- Category: Salad
For the Salad and Dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound spinach
For Poached Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
For the Dressing
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Place the olive oil in the pan.
- Add the shallots and the sherry.
- Stir in the thyme.
- Let simmer while you prepare the eggs.
For the Eggs
- Heat the water and vinegar over low-medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl.
- Using a spoon, slide the eggs, one at a time, into the water. Keep the eggs separated.
- Simmer for a few minutes. You want the eggs to cook slowly to ensure that they're tender.
- Occasionally spoon some of the water over the eggs as they simmer.
- When they have reached the desired doneness, use a large spoon to carefully remove them from the pan. Place them on a paper towel on a plate.
- Place the spinach on a large plate and spoon the hot dressing over it.
- Place the eggs on top of the salad and season with salt and pepper. Serve.