Skip to content
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup minced green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint cream
- 1 quart half and half
- 1 quart oysters in liquid
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place heavy soup pot on low heat. Add butter. Melt slowly with out browning
- Add the onions, celery and green onions and cook for 10-12 minutes. Add garlic for last minute.
- Add fresh basil and crushed pepper flakes.
- Add the flour and cook for two minutes to blend.
- Add the cream and simmer. The soup base should thicken. Add half and half and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the liquid from the oysters and simmer.
- Add the oysters right before serving and cook for five minutes.
- Serve within five minutes of cooking the oysters.