I love strawberries. So much so I have planted over 400 strawberry plants at the Garden Home Retreat. Now that’s a lot of shortcake!
Here is a super easy strawberry dessert that is perfect for cocktail parties or luncheons.
- Category: Dessert
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
Chantilly Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- Combine egg whites, vanilla extract, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl. Beat until frothy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. It's ready when glossy and stiff. Do not over beat.
- Drop heaping tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Shape each meringue into a bowl by pressing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in a preheated 250 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, but leave the meringues in the oven with the door closed for an hour to an hour and half. This will make them crisp.
- Remove the meringues from the oven and cool. At this point you can store them in an air tight container until you are ready to use.
- To make the Chantilly cream beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in the sour cream.
- Wash the strawberries and slice them in half.
- Top each meringue with a spoonful of cream and a strawberry.