Siva and Indu Soora gave me this recipe for Mango Cilantro Rice. Many of the ingredients such as green chilies and turmeric have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, making this dish good for you as well as good tasting. Indu says you can purchase all the ingredients at an Indian grocery store.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1/4 cup Indian style peanuts with skin (unroasted)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Bengal gram dhal / Channa dhal
- 1/2 teaspoon black gram dhal / Urad dhal
- 2 red chilies (broken into 2 pieces)
- 4 green chilies (cut lengthwise)
- Pinch of Asafoetida or Hing
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Grated sour/tangy green mango
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté peanuts to a brown color separately in 1 tablespoon of oil and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over a medium flame. Add mustard seeds and cover with a splatter guard. Then add Bengal gram dhal, black gram dhal, red chilies, green chilies and asofoetida.
- When dhals turns golden brown, add turmeric powder, roasted peanuts and salt to taste
- Add grated mangoes and mix well to combine with the spices. Cook for just 2-3 seconds more and switch off the flame.
- Mix the cooked rice and mango mixture gently using a fork taking care not to break the rice. Check for salt, add if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mango slices.
- Enjoy mango rice with Sundal or chips or papads as a side dish.