I refer to this dish as breakfast tart because of the ham and eggs, but really you could eat it for any meal. I like to serve it on a Sunday morning and eat leftovers after work on Monday night. Many thanks to Mark Abernathy at Loca Luna for sharing it with me.
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces country ham, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 strips crispy fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped mixed herbs of your choosing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook until it begins to color and the fat is rendered, about 3 minutes. Add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the pan sit while you make the egg mixture.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and egg yolks. Add the cream, cheese and bacon. Mix well. Stir in the mixed herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the ham and shallots over the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust. Pour in the egg mixture and bake until set, about 30 minutes. Remove and cool a bit before serving. Garnish with some sprigs of the herbs you used.
- Serve each slice with a dollop of sour cream mixed with chopped chives and Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.